Sunday, September 20, 2015

One Day on the Road...Part 3

For my last post concerning Geneseo...for now...Here are the last set of pictures from that park. The first is an old bronze plaque, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the colonists from New York to start a church in the "Wilderness" of Illinois that would eventually become a city.

The second plaque is much newer and tells how the former Geneseo township high school once sat on the land now occupied by this park having served the community from 1911 to 1998. A total of 87 Years! before being razed in 1999.

The last photo is not actually in the park but a couple of streets away. It went almost unnoticed by little Nick and I as it sits on a grassy divide in the middle of a busy two way street going thru a subdivision. It marks what is believed to be the site of the first pioneer cabin ever built in the area. Seems fitting somehow that it should now be surrounded by houses.

As Winter approaches I'll be posting only once per week as it will become harder for both myself and Nick to get out and about. I appreciate all the kind comments left here on my page and will continue to search out new and interesting places to visit 'Off the Beaten Path'









No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or know of a place that would make for a great future article drop me a line. Thanks!