Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Are YOU an Odd Fellow?

Recently my side kick Nick and I visited the town of New Bedford Illinois.  We went in search of an abandoned Odd Fellows lodge we had heard about. We did indeed find it and the results are displayed herein.

The building appears to be used for storage nowadays but the bones are still there.The faded letters above the entrance are "F,L,& T" That stands for Friendship, Love & Truth.  There was an old book that had a vintage piece of paper in it that I'm including for your viewing pleasure. It was a pleasant drive on a comfortable day. In addition to the former grade school I blogged about earlier here is another sight worth the drive to go see if you like getting 'Off the Beaten Path'











6 comments:

  1. Accidentally deleted previous post. I remember this as "Doc" Doster Neahring's blacksmith shop and remember when my Dad and I stopped by to get my pedal tractor welded up. Also watched my friend Tom Neahring repair his cars here on ground floor. The few times we went upstairs it was spooky since it was set up pretty much as the last time it was used (way before our time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Thomas! I'm sure my followers equally love hearing these reminiscing about the past

      Delete
  2. More early pictures of New Bedford: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Bedford,_Illinois#/media/File:NewBedford006.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old Odd Fellow Hall was used for many things over the years. Doc Neahring's son David was in my class and we spent many many hours in that old building. It was actually were I learned to smoke. ha We would steal a pack of cigarettes from Doc and then go out and sit on top of large stacks of old tires and think we were hot stuff. Upstairs the Rhabeka Lodge held their meetings on a monthly basis. It was used for many years during my time by my Mother and several o there local women. It was an interesting place up there. I believer the building was originally build as a blacksmith shop and later a mechanic garage . I think it was some of the Hansen families from New Bedford that first worked there. Great memories there as well. Lol...me , David Nearing and Danny Thompson spent many hours in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Jerry! My followers are sure to love them!

      Delete
  4. The forge from the blacksmith days was still there and the blower still operated when you cranked the handle.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a comment or know of a place that would make for a great future article drop me a line. Thanks!