Saturday, September 8, 2018

I got to meet Honest Abe

On a recent outing I ran across a rift in time, a tear in the space time continuum. One moment we were in 2018 and the next minute we were in a civil war encampment complete with Cavalry patrols, U.S. Grant and even Abraham Lincoln.  We spied sutlers stores, food establishments and a pretty girl even fed me! 

While I was there I talked with an artillery crew and discussed the distances a cannon ball could be lobbed (Over a Mile!).  This must have been near the end of the war as the union forces looked well clothed and fed whilst a few of the rebels looks thin and their clothing threadbare. Every so often 2018 reappeared in the form of tourists and shuttle buses and what the soldiers thought of their showing up I couldn't speculate on.

As I wandered around the camp I could hear sporadic gunfire out in the woods and I could just imagine what it must have really like back then to hear gunshots off in the woods and never knowing who was shooting at whom, whether the enemy was winning or losing. Whether they were getting closer and might be a danger or farther away.  While this re-enactment is over there are more coming up yet this year, one next month right here in Princeton. I plan to attend. Will you?















































No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or know of a place that would make for a great future article drop me a line. Thanks!