Sunday, August 26, 2018

A timeless tradition

Every year something Magical happens in my home town. Just as summer vacation is winding down and kids are girding themselves at the prospect of going back to school (And parents are sighing in relief that they survived another summer) we are given a sweet treat, a reward for our patience and forbearing.  The FAIR comes to town!

Beginning in 1855 the county fair has drawn people from all over our state to be delighted and to engage in good natured competition to see who might have the best cow, the finest bull, the best jar of preserves or the sweetest apple pie. The fair has grown from a simple affair to the extravaganza we have today with musical concerts, displays of horsemanship, chain saw carving, and so much more.

Who can go the fair and NOT succumb to the temptation of getting some cotton candy? An Elephant Ear? A foot long corn dog? I have so many fond memories of walking past the rows of carnival barkers trying to get me to spend my money so I can win a stuffed bear for my 'sweetie'.  Of showing my physical prowess at trying to knock over a stack of milk bottles (I SWEAR those suckers were nailed down) or making a weight go up to hit the bell at the top.

The Ferris wheel, the Tilt-O-Whirl, the Carousel, the kiddie rides, the bumper cars, the roller coaster...I could go on and on.  Though I am growing older some of my happiest memories center around the county fair where, just for a brief moment, I can pretend to be a kid again.

































2 comments:

  1. What is the "Beast of Bureau Creek" ?
    Thank you for your devotion to your blog, which I find on FB.
    (Princeton native living in Northern California - missing Fair Week )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durbin; They have a Haunted house at the fair grounds every October. I think this was a preview for that event.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a comment or know of a place that would make for a great future article drop me a line. Thanks!